We are now accepting applications for summer, part-time positions at Fort Mountain State Park. Please contact the Visitor's Center or stop by between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. for more information and to complete an application.
Check Last Minute Availability
"Mystery shrouds the ancient stone wall of Fort Mountain State Park, located near the Cohutta Wilderness, offering you a look back in time to the previous inhabitants, as you discover 60 miles of recreational trails and majestic overlooks."
A scenic drive on Highway 52 near the Cohutta Wilderness leads visitors to this mountain getaway. Hikers, mountain bikers and horseback riders will find some of the most beautiful trails in Georgia, winding through hardwood forest and blueberry thickets, crossing streams and circling a pretty lake. Hikers can also explore a stone fire tower built by the Civilian Conservation Corps and an ancient rock wall which stand on the highest point of the mountain. The mysterious 855-foot-long wall is thought to have been built by early Indians as fortification against more hostile Indians or for ancient ceremonies.
During summer, visitors can cool off on a lakeside beach. Park guests may stay overnight in fully equipped cottages, a campground or backpacking campsites.
$5 parking. Annual passes available.
7 a.m.–10 p.m.
Gates lock at 10 p.m. No late access.
8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Accommodations & Facilities:
• 3,712 Acres
• 15 Cottages ($145–$250) — #5 & #6 are dog friendly ($45/dog, max 2)
• 70 Campsites ($27–$32) — some seasonal
• 4 Walk-in Campsites ($18)
• 6 Platform Campsites ($12)
• Group Shelter (seats 80, $75–$100) — seasonal
• 3 Pioneer Camps ($50)
• 4 Backcountry Campsites ($10/person)
• 17-Acre Lake with Swimming Beach — seasonal
• 7 Picnic Shelters ($30–$55)
• Old CCC Stone Fire Tower
• Gift Shop
Things To Do & See:
• First Time Camper
— 25+ miles of trails
• Horseback Riding — stables
; 25+ miles of trails; rules of equestrian trail use
• Mountain Biking
(trail fee) — 27 miles of trails
• Swimming — seasonal
• Boat Rental — seasonal
• Kayak, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddleboard & Pedal Boat Rental — seasonal
• Miniature Golf (fee) — seasonal
• Field Trips & Scout Programs
— park approval required
• Amicalola Falls State Park & Lodge
• Blue Ridge Mountains
• Calhoun/Gordon County
• Chief Vann House State Historic Site
• Chieftans Trail
• Cohutta Wilderness Area
• Dalton, Georgia
• Gilmer County
• Funk Heritage Center
• Mountain Top, GA
• New Echota State Historic Site
• Southern Highroads Trail
Fort Mountain State Park Business Plan
Georgia Council on American Indian Concerns