Check Last Minute Availability
Located between Atlanta and Athens, this popular park features a 1792 log fort built by settlers for protection against Creek and Cherokee Indians. Today, visitors come to Fort Yargo for its wide variety of outdoor recreation and scenery. Mountain bikers and hikers can test their endurance on 18 miles of trails. A 260-acre lake offers a large swimming beach, fishing and boat ramps. The park’s wooded disc golf course is exceptionally challenging.
Fort Yargo State Park is a beautiful location for outdoor weddings, reunions and other celebrations. Visitors have a choice of numerous facilities for all budgets, ranging from group shelters to lake-view pavilions. Overnight guests can choose from fully equipped cottages or cozy campsites. For a more unique experience, visitors can reserve lakeside yurts, which are like canvas and wooden tents. Each yurt has furniture and electricity inside and a fire ring, picnic table and grill outside.
Fort Yargo State Park Business Plan
Park Hours: 7AM-10PM
Office Hours: 8AM-5PM
$5 parking. Annual passes available.
ACCOMMODATIONS & FACILITIES:
• 1,816 Acres
• 3 Cottages ($135) -- #3 is dog friendly ($45 per dog, max 2)
• 6 Yurts ($70)
• 52 Tent, Trailer, RV Campsites ($28-$30)
• 12 Walk-in Campsites ($24)
• 260-Acre Lake with Beach (seasonal)
• 5 Picnic Shelters ($60)
• 2 Group Shelters (seat 80 and 100, $105–$160)
• Nature Center Pavilion ($85)
• Beach Pavilion (seats 150, $150)
• Pioneer Campground ($75)
• 2 Boat Ramps
• Gift Shop
• Boat concessions are available on weekends only beginning March 15th, from 10 a.m. to sunset.
• Early boat reservation is available on the weekends from 7 a.m. - 10 a.m. and can be done by calling the Boathouse 770-867-0001 or the Park Office 770-867-3489 in advance.
• Group reservations only can be done during the week but must be booked in advanced as well. Please call or contact the Boat House or the Park Office for additional information.
• All bike rentals will be at the Beach Boathouse and will be rented during the same days and times as the boat rentals.
• After October 13th, reservations in advance will be possible by calling the Park Office for a 4 hour minimum rental.
THINGS TO DO & SEE:
• First Time Camper Program
• Hiking and Mountain Biking - 20.5 miles of trails, Muddy Spokes Club, bike rental
• Disc Golf (fee) -- annual passes available, bring your own discs
• Lake Swimming
• Fishing – jon boat rental (seasonal)
• Boating – private boats allowed, 10 HP limit
• Canoe, Kayak and Pedal Boat Rental (seasonal)
• Miniature Golf (fee)
• 2 Tennis Courts
• Weddings (park approval required)
View by date
Saturday, Mar 8, 2014 6:45 PM
|We'll take a walk along the lake after the sun sets to experience the park at night, listen to the night sounds, and look for signs of animals that may be out and about after dark. Meet at the boat ramp in campground #2. $5 plus $5 parking. 770-867-3489.|
Special Ops Series-Green Beret Challenge|
Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 8 AM to 3 PM
Saturday, Aug 9, 2014 8 AM to 3 PM
|The Special Op Events Series consists of races that accommodate individuals, groups or teams while promoting teamwork. As you forge through our courses one step at a time towards the finish line, we want you to walk away with a symbol of excellence; a badge of courage, a mark of distinction. specialopsseries.com $5 parking. 412-607-6931.|
Fort Yargo Colonial Market Faire|
Friday, Saturday & Sunday 9 AM - 5 PM from Mar 28, 2014 until Mar 30, 2014
|During this 18th century living-history event, tradesmen and artisans will demonstrate crafts and knowledge of the time. Enjoy frontier frybread and kettlecorn. $5. Children under 12 free. $5 parking. 770-867-3489.|
Easter Egg Hunt|
Saturday, Apr 19, 2014 9 AM to 1 PM
|Bring the kids and let them search for Easter eggs on our new beginner bike trail. Dress the little ones in appropriate attire. The trail begins at the multi-purpose courts. Sponsored by Friends of Fort Yargo. Egg hunt- $5. 770-867-3489.|
Dirty Spokes 6hr/9hr Mountain Bike Race|
Saturday, May 3, 2014 8 AM to 6 PM
|These 6-hour and 9-hour races take competitors along our mountain bike trail and allow visitors to see the action first-hand. www.dirtyspokes.com $5 parking. 770-867-3489.|
Siege on Fort Yargo Trail Challenge and Adventure Race|
Saturday, Jun 7, 2014 8 AM to 4 PM
|Teams of two or three will travel on a mandatory course with a three-hour limit. Teams will face multiple challenges and obstacles as they travel through the course.The race will include trail challenge, mountain biking and a six-hour cutoff for the Adventure Race. siegeyargo.trailblazerar.com $5 parking. 770-867-3489.|
Dirty Spokes Trail Running Race Series|
Saturday, Oct 11, 2014 7 AM to 5 PM
|The Dirty Spokes running race series includes four state parks: Red Top Mountain, Unicoi, Fort Yargo and Victoria Bryant. Dates and distances vary. Visit www.dirtyspokes.com to register. Fee plus $5 parking. 404-310-3628.|