Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites
ZIP SEARCH:  go  


4000 BC Native American habitation
1500-1600s Spanish explorers; coastal missions; contact with natives they named Guale
1607 First British colony in North America at Jamestown.
1610 British colony at Charlestown established as Carolina settlement.
1732 George II of England grants charter for Georgia colony to Trustees.
1733 Settlement of Georgia at Savannah by James Oglethorpe.
1736 Noble Jones leases 500 acres ten miles south of Savannah; names Wormslow.
1737 Well dug at Wormslow.
1739 Fortified house begun at Wormslow in response to increased Spanish threat.
1740 Oglethorpe orders Jones "raise 10 men for a guard and scout boat;" blockhouse, "Jones Fort" constructed on Pigeon Island.
1742 Battle at Bloody Marsh ends Spanish threat to British colonies.
1744 Fortified house at Wormsloe completed.
1752 Trustees surrender charter; Georgia becomes Royal Colony.
1756 Noble Jones receives royal grant giving him ownership of Wormslow estate.
1775 Noble Jones dies; son Noble Wimberly Jones becomes involved in revolutionary activity serving on Council of Safety and other patriotic endeavors.
1780 Noble Wimberly Jones captured at Charleston; imprisoned at St. Augustine.
1775-1795 Wormslow owned by Mary Jones Bulloch, Noble Wimberly Jones' sister. She resided in Savannah, however. The property was announced for auction in 1781, but the British evacuation of Savannah ended that threat to the property.
1795-1804 Noble Wimberly Jones owned Wormslow; he resided in Savannah and at his nearby plantation, Lambeth, only living at Wormslow briefly in 1795.
1804 Wormslow deeded to son, George Jones one year before Noble Wymberly Jones' death.
1810 Records show employ of John Rawls as overseer to raise cotton.
1810 Records show Ann Reid rented Wormslow for the cultivation of 20 acres.
1828 George Jones commissions construction of current dwelling on Jones Narrows, the primary residence of his descendants today.
1847 George Frederick Tilghman Jones resided at Wormslow for next twenty years. During this time he changes the spelling to "Wormsloe." Also changes his name to "George Wymberley" and adds "DeRenne" to his family name. Publishes "Wormsloe Quartos," collected manuscript documents.
1864 Wormsloe vandalized by Union troops; confiscated by federal government.
1865 August 29, DeRenne receives presidential pardon and recovers Wormsloe.
1893 Wymberley Jones deRenne (son of G.W. Jones deRenne) resumes residency at Wormsloe and begins restoration. Plants oak drive.
1913 Stone archway erected at entrance to oak-lined drive.
1907 Library built for a 4000-item collection of historical works. Collection later acquired by the University of Georgia, where it is housed today.
1968-1969 William Kelso excavates original house site of Noble Jones.
1973 All of Wormsloe except for 1828 house, library and 65.5 acres is deeded to the state of Georgia for preservation and conservation of this resource.
1979 Museum building and Nature Trail completed and Wormsloe State Historic Site
opened to the public.

Currently Wormsloe State Historic Site continues to be conserved and interpreted for the public including the recent restoration of the cottage at the gate and development of special programs.



   Print VersionBookmark and Share

 
Free Mobile App!Tons of Fun eNews GeorgiaAmerica's State Parks