"The historic architecture, gentle rolling hills, forested trails and placid lakes of A. H. Stephens Historic State Park, once home to the Vice President of the Confederacy and later the 'boys' of the Civilian Conservation Corps, now provide you an oasis of natural and historical beauty for recreation, reflection and relaxation."
This pretty park west of Augusta is best known for its equestrian facilities, Confederate museum and lakeside group camp. Horseback riders can explore 21 miles of trails and stay overnight in their own campground. Overnight guests can choose from lakeside cottages or a modern campground, while large groups can enjoy privacy in the park’s group camp or pioneer campground.
Visitors can enjoy geocaching, fishing and boating, while also learning about a key officer in the American Civil War. Named after the vice president of the Confederacy and governor of Georgia, A.H. Stephens State Park features a Confederate museum with one of the finest collections of Civil War artifacts in Georgia. Stephens’ home, Liberty Hall, is renovated to its 1875 style, fully furnished and open for tours.
$5 parking. Annual passes available.
7 a.m.–10 p.m.
8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Historic Site Hours:
Friday–Sunday 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Last tour at 3:30 p.m.
Historic Site Admission:
- Adults (18–61): $5.00
- Seniors (62+): $4.50
- Youth (6–17): $3.00
- Child (under 6): $1.00
Group rates available with advance notice.
Accommodations & Facilities:
• 1,177 Acres
• 4 Cottages ($125–$135, higher during Masters Week) — #1 is dog friendly ($45/dog, max 2)
• 25 Campsites ($25–$28)
• 20 Horse Campsites ($21–$23)
• 30 Horse Stalls ($12)
• 3 Picnic Shelters ($35)
• Group Shelter (seats 80, $95)
• Group Camp (sleeps 150, $600)
• Pioneer Campground ($45)
• 10-acre Event Field with 24 Campsites
• Civil War Museum
• 3 Fishing Lakes
Things To Do & See:
• Fishing — private boats allowed; electric motors only
• Hiking — 4 miles of trails; horse trails open to hikers weekdays only
• Horseback Riding (trail fee) — 21 miles of trails; no horse rental; rules of stables & equestrian trails
• First Time Camper Program
• Kayak, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddleboard & Pedal Boat Rental — seasonal
• Bicycle Rental
• Georgia's Classic South
• Hamburg State Park
• Hard Labor Creek State Park & Golf Course
• Lake Oconee
• Mistletoe State Park
• Robert Toombs House Historic Site