NOTICE: The comfort station located in campground #1 will be closed for reconstruction during the winter (approximately January–April). We apologize for any inconvenience.
Check Last Minute Availability
» Group Reservations Notice:
Group reservations only can be done during the week and must be booked in advanced. Please call the boat house or park office for additional information.
"Nestled as a natural refuge in the city of Winder, Fort Yargo State Park offers you a nearby escape from metro-life with exciting adventures along multiple recreational trails including one of the only remaining forts for early settlers."
Located between Atlanta and Athens, this popular park features a 1792 log fort built by settlers for protection against Creek and Cherokee Indians. Today, visitors come to Fort Yargo for its wide variety of outdoor recreation and scenery. Mountain bikers and hikers can test their endurance on 20.5 miles of trails. A 260-acre lake offers a large swimming beach, fishing and boat ramps. The park’s wooded disc golf course is exceptionally challenging.
Fort Yargo State Park is a beautiful location for outdoor weddings, reunions and other celebrations. Visitors have a choice of numerous facilities for all budgets, ranging from group shelters to lake-view pavilions. Overnight guests can choose from fully equipped cottages or cozy campsites. For a more unique experience, visitors can reserve lakeside yurts, which are permanent canvas and wooden tents. Each yurt has furniture and electricity inside and a fire ring, picnic table and grill outside.
$5 parking. Annual passes available.
7 a.m.–10 p.m.
8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Accommodations & Facilities:
• 1,816 Acres
• 3 Cottages ($165) — #3 is dog friendly ($45/dog, max 2)
• 13 Camper Cabins
($135) — #8 & #15 are dog friendly ($45/dog, max 2)
• 6 Yurts
• 40 Campsites ($28–$32)
• 12 Walk-in Campsites ($25)
• 260-Acre Lake with Beach — seasonal
• 5 Picnic Shelters ($60)
• 2 Group Shelters (seats 80 & 100, $75–$160)
• Nature Center Pavilion ($85)
• Beach Pavilion (seats 150, $150)
• Pioneer Campground ($75)
• 2 Boat Ramps
• Gift Shop
Things To Do & See:
• First Time Camper
— 20.5 miles of trails
— bike trail fee; Muddy Spokes Club
• Disc Golf (fee) — annual passes available; no disc rental
• Boat Rental — seasonal; 10 HP limit
• Kayak, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddleboard & Pedal Boat Rental — seasonal
• Miniature Golf (fee)
• 2 Tennis Courts
— park approval required
• Athens, GA & University of Georgia
• Camp Twin Lakes/Will-A-Way
• Chateau Elan
• City of Winder
• Fort Yargo Living History Society
• Hard Labor Creek State Park
• Highland Walk Golf Course at Victoria Bryant
• Lake Lanier
• Road Atlanta Racetrack
• State Botanical Gardens
• Stone Mountain Park
• The Creek Golf Course at Hard Labor Creek
• Victoria Bryant State Park
• Watson Mill Bridge State Park
Fort Yargo State Park Business Plan
Fort Yargo State Park Master Plan
Fort Yargo School Brochure
Read a Review of the Camper Cabins