"The Chattahoochee River, flowing from the north Georgia Mountains, meets Lake Lanier at Don Carter State Park, creating a unique opportunity for recreation and outdoor appreciation on the northern edge of metro-Atlanta."
Don Carter is Georgia’s newest state park, as well as the first state park on 38,000-acre Lake Lanier. Situated on the north end of the reservoir, the park offers outstanding recreation for water lovers. Guests can stay cool at a large, sand swimming beach with bath house. Boat ramps provide quick access to the lake, while a multi-use trail welcomes hikers and bikers to explore the hardwood forest.
This new park offers several choices for overnight getaways as well. Two-bedroom cabins are perched on wooded hillsides near the lake. One campground is designed specifically for RVs, while another primitive camping area is just for tents and hammocks. The campground and cottage loop is gated, providing access to overnight guests.
The park is named in honor of real-estate executive Don Carter who served on the Georgia Department of Natural Resources board for 29 years and worked to establish Lake Lanier’s first state park.
$5 parking. Annual passes available.
7 a.m.–10 p.m.
8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Accommodations & Facilities:
• 1,316 Acres
• 8 Cottages ($200–$250) — #1 is dog friendly ($45/dog, 2 max)
• 44 RV Campsites ($30)
• 12 Primitive "Walk-in" Tent Sites ($20)
• 4 Picnic Shelters ($50)
• 38,000-Acre Lake Lanier
• 10.4 Miles of Shoreline
• Boat Ramps
• Fish-Cleaning Station
• Sand Beach
Things To Do & See:
• Kayak, Stand-Up Paddleboard & Aquacycle Rentals — seasonal
• First Time Camper Program
• Educational Programs
• Hiking & Biking — 4 miles of trails
• Chattahoochee Golf Club
• Chattahoochee River
• Dahlonega Gold Museum & Historic Downtown
• Elachee Nature Science Center
• Flowery Branch Historic Downtown Shops & Dining
• Francis Meadows Aquatic Center
• Gainesville Main Street & Historic Downtown Square
• Jaemor Farm Market
• Lake Lanier Area Attractions
• Lake Lanier Islands Resort
• Lake Lanier Olympic Venue
• Lakeshore Mall
• North Georgia Canopy Tours
• Northeast Georgia History Center
• Quinlan Visual Arts Center
• Road Atlanta
• Smithgall Woods State Park